Sunday, October 17, 2010

squash soup



I just ADORE my new wooden recipe box from Rifle Paper Co. in Florida. I had to wait a long time for it, but it finally came! Now I just have to fill it up with delicious recipes. This Fall I've been making a lot of soups, including a super healthy acorn squash soup:

1 acorn squash
1/2 onion
1 clove garlic
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
olive oil
butter
salt
pepper
curry powder
cinnamon
1 cup (or so) chicken stock
splash of milk

Cut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Lightly grease cut sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place squash halves cut side down on a piece of parchment paper on a rimmed cookie sheet and poke holes in the rind with a sharp knife. Bake at 375 F for about an hour or until soft when pressed. Roughly chop onions, garlic, carrot and celery. Sautee in a little (2 tsp) butter or olive oil until tender. Add a little curry powder and cinnamon if you like. Allow cooked squash to cool somewhat before scooping out and adding to sauteed vegetables. Add chicken stock and a little milk until the soup has the desired thickness. Simmer slowly until the carrots and celery are really soft, then blend to a smooth consistancy - I used an immersion blender that my mom gave me. It is a Cuisinart and it works great. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I like a ton of black pepper!

No comments:

Post a Comment