Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cottage Pie



Another reason to welcome colder weather: heavy filling foods. I make this a lot in the winter. I don't really use a recipe, but will try to record how I make it as best I can.

1 lb. ground beef (from Cedar Valley Sustainable)
2 carrots
1 stalk celery
1/2 onion
2 large russet potatoes
5 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. milk
2 tbsp. flour
1 c. stock (I used chicken this time)
salt and pepper to taste
dash of worcester sauce

In a large pot, boil potatoes until tender (I poke them with a skewer to check). Meanwhile, brown ground beef in a pan over medium heat. Chop celery, carrots and onions and add them to the pan. Add salt and pepper (and worcester) to taste, lower heat and continue cooking until vegetables are tender. By the way, you can use whatever vegetables are handy, I often include peas. Mash together 1 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. flour with a fork, then add paste to meat mixture and stir in with a wooden spoon. Add stock and cook until mixture thickens. Place meat mixture in the bottom of a baking dish.
Make mashed potatoes: Drain potatoes in a collander, then, using kitchen towels to handle hot potatoes, gently peel them with a knife or your fingers. The skins should come right off. Mash potatoes with remaining butter (add as much as you like, I'm just estimating 4 tbsp.) and a splash of milk, just so as to get the right fluffy consistancy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread mashed potatoes over mince, I used a fork to make the wavy pattern. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes, until the sides start to bubble or the top gets browned. I usually make it ahead and just leave it at room temp until ready to bake. It might need less time if you are putting it in while it's still hot from the pan, or more time if it's coming from the fridge. Yum Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment