Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pickles







Last summer I canned pickles, which tasted good, but didn't have the crunchy texture I prefer. So this year I decided to make some refrigerator pickles instead. I bought some lovely crunchy cucumbers from Michigan at the farmer's market, threw in some fresh garlic, onions, and pickling spices, and stuck them in the fridge! I can't believe I have to wait 10 days to eat them! Here is the recipe I used:


12 small to medium pickling cucumbers

2 heads fresh (not dried) garlic

1/2 a red onion

4 fresh bay leaves

4 sprigs tarragon (and/or fresh dill)

2 heaping tbsp. coarse kosher salt

1 tbsp. sugar

1 1/2 tsp. dill seed

1 1/2 tsp. dried dill

1/2 tsp. dried red pepper flakes

1 tsp. mustard seed

1 tsp. coriander seed

1 tsp. black peppercorns

4 whole cloves

2 c. water

1 3/4 c. white vinegar


Cut the cukes into thick slices, the garlic cloves in half, and slice the red onion. Combine all ingredients (except the sprigs of tarragon or dill) and leave out, covered in plastic, for a couple of hours. Ladle ingredients into 4 clean, sterilized pint size glass jars, putting a bay leaf, a clove, and a sprig of tarragon (I couldn't find fresh dill, or I would have used that) in each. Use all of the liquid to completely cover the pickles. Refrigerate at least 10 days before eating. These are not heat-sealed, so be sure to store in the fridge like any perishable item.





2 comments:

  1. thanks for the recipe :) your pickles look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome! I think they turned out pretty tasty...I think the next batch will be extra spicy. Let me know if you make some how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete